Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:27:50 -0600 (CST)
I have an S9 antenna; picked it up last year and then plans changed.  It's a
very nice antenna, but it is not structurally robust enough to masquerade as a
flag pole.

That aside, I think you missed my point.

Yes, there are several commercial flagpole antennas available.  That is to say,
base loaded (for the most part) verticals that look like a flag pole.

Nor is is that hard to take a commercial flagpole and base-load it to act as a
vertical.

And there are many commercial fiberglass flag poles that can be acquired, for a
price.  Running a wire through the center of one isn't very difficult.  Putting
a tuner at the base isn't either.  I've heard of more than a few hams who have
done this.  Even a few who've used a commercial fiberglass light support, such
as those you find around parking lots.

But my point was... I don't know of any current amateur radio antenna
manufacturer who is making a fiberglass (or other non-conductive outside) flag
pole with a hidden internal wire antenna, that has place INSIDE at the base a
screwdriver-antenna type assembly, to make about as "stealthy" a remote tuned
hidden antennas as you can get.  Considering the vast availability today of
screwdriver-style tunable inductors, it seems so obvious that I'm just a little
surprised that it hasn't happened.

Yet.

73, ron w3wn