Re: [TenTec] 6M transverter with OMNI 6?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6M transverter with OMNI 6?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:23:05 -0600
I have one objection to the Omni V and VI with a transverter for VHF.
Its common to switch modes from USB to CW and to make contacts while
transmitting CW and copying USB. When the rig goes to LSB for CW that
capability is lost. It might be that the N4PY chip allows doing
differently or that using computer control would solve that mode switch,
but I dislike having a computer running when working weak signals on VHF
I don't want to mask them with noise from my own computer. One other
cure is to use high side injection in the transverter but then the VHF
frequency readout isn't simple. That's why when I anticipated changing
my VHF/UHF station from FT726 and 736 to transverters I acquired a
Corsair II rather than an Omni V or VI.

The 726 and 736 shift the receiver frequency when going to CW from SSB
requiring retuning which is annoying but they stay on USB for CW. The
FT-857 is much handier. It has a way of setting where it will be
receiving in USB and if I want to transmit USB, I pick up the microphone
and hit the PTT. If I want to send CW I grab the key and start sending.
No retuning, no mode shifting, just do it. That's really handy.

When I have posted this objection in the past, some have said they knew
a way around it but so far I've not been told how to avoid going to LSB
for CW.

The DEMI transverter should work decently and the vintage ones are
capable of absorbing up to 10 watts at the IF port, at the cost of
increased frequency drift when that heat gets to the crystal unless
using the synthesizer option that increases phase noise.

73, Jerry, K0CQ