Re: [TenTec] Titan vac relay

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan vac relay
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:06:11 -0800
On 12/22/2010 2:48 PM, Rafael Kuri [XE1RK] wrote:
> Paul Clinton, the Ten-Tec service manager and he said that the replacement
> cost was $375.00 plus s/h!.

The good news about maintaining older Ten Tec gear is that you can
usually get the parts. It's also generally true that the parts are
pretty standard, and easy to find in either industrial or surplus
channels. The bad news is the COST of those parts IF you buy them from
Ten Tec. If you need parts for Ten Tec gear, the best solution is
usually what you did -- find out the original manufacturer's part number
and chase down that part. The only things that I buy from Ten Tec are
unique or hard to find things like the smaller relays and bandswitches.

  In the case of these vacuum relays, the best source is Gigavac, who
makes direct replacements for all of the vacuum relays that Ten Tec
uses. Gigavac relays are standard in Alpha amps, and the folks at Alpha
tell me that they are quite happy with them.  Gigavac has a long
established policy of selling their relays in small quantities to
licensed hams. I've done this several times, and they're very good to
deal with.

73, Jim Brown K9YC