Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:38:04 +0000
There are two distinct and different issues here. Take a look at how the
ARRL Antenna Book tackles them quite separately.

1. Antenna efficiency: directly affected by the ground conductivity in
the Reactive Near Field. This is the parameter we are usually improving
by laying down a good ground radial system

2. Elevation angle pattern: determined by soil characteristics in the
Far Field where ground reflections are taking place. Do some simple
geometry and you'll see that at really low elevation angles - 5 degrees
say - the ground reflections from an 80m quarter-wave vertical will
extend out to at least 750ft from the base of the vertical. A typical
ground radial system will do nothing about the conductivity there.

You can check this using EZNECs ability to have two different ground
media. Set up Media 1 as salt water extending for about 50ft around the
vertical, and Media 2 as rocky soil beyond. Look at the elevation
patterns - they will be those which pertain to poor ground. Now
gradually extend Media 1 outwards until you get the elevation pattern to
match that over salt water - that will tell you how far out the
reflections are taking place and how extensive your radial system would
need to be.

Please note - I'm not saying a good ground system doesn't help. I'm
saying that the usual ground radial system predominantly affects antenna
efficiency and not elevation pattern.

Please also note that nothing I have said conflicts with the Exam
Question answers.

73,
Steve G3TXQ