Re: [TenTec] Suggestions please

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Suggestions please
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 13:00:11 -0600
I made a test of ordinary TV twinlead years ago. I had a 200 watt PA and
my only exciter was for 80 meters. I hooked a foot or two of twinlead
with the end away from the tuner shorted to my link coupled tuner set
for series tuning. I was able to get a match. The tuner coil is 1/4"
wide edge wound copper strap. The capacitors are air variables with
probably 1/16" air gap. Key down for a while nothing, including the feed
line under test warmed up seriously. Then I cut the short off and
reconnected the tuner for parallel tuning to get the maximum voltage.
With the tuner resonated I got lots of corona off the cut ends but no
arcing. So I opened up the end insulation and added blobs of solder to
the sharp ends of the cut wires to hide the sharp edges that were
inducing the corona. Still no arcs at all the voltage I could muster.
Those are as extreme conditions as possible and at 200 watts the line
stood up just fine.

73, Jerry, k0CQ