Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Logic Board Failure

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Logic Board Failure
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:11:13 -0600
Tentec should be the one most capable of making a new board design. They
SHOULD have the code for the old control program, if its the processor
that is most obsolete. If they don't have the code, its going to require
starting from scratch, and NP4Y has done that for the Omni V and likely
a first attempt at a control board would start with Omni V features.

Some control boards especially Paragon have responded to a careful
resoldering. I'd try that first, but Tentec probably doesn't believe
they can afford the time to do that properly. Heating each solder
connection until it bubbles isn't that hard to do, just takes time.

Without the insider's knowledge that Tentec should have reverse
engineering that board would take a man year or two to sell what, 5
boards a year? Not what would appear to be a profitable adventure and it
would be an adventure with a good working radio and control board.

73, Jerry, K0CQ