Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Logic Board Failure

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Logic Board Failure
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:49:58 -0600
I was looking at the wrong schematic set, the original Orion.

Found the much much simpler logic board for the Omni VI in the Omni VI
manual. CPU is an 80C32. Still available from multiple makers. Ram is
6264 which should be readily available and the program (8051 compatible
code) is stored in a 27C256. I have a shoe box full of those from
modifying packet TNCs. I'm certain I can read and write the 27C256, but
I don't have an 8051 disassembler and haven't learned 8051 assembler
either.

The DSP is an ADSP 2105 with several vendors and versions.

The stinker that I see is a DS1285 real time clock chip that is no
longer made. Though Dallis Semi/Maxim says their DS12885+ or DS12885N+
is a direct replacement and still made (in three packages). The N+ has
the wider temperature range. I also see a lithium cell on the board. Has
anyone ever replaced that cell when there was a control board problem?
Every other radio that vintage with a lithium cell has needed
replacement. That might be worth the bother in the Omni VI and VI+. A
typical front panel check for a bad memory battery is that the radio
runs fine if you do a master or major reset at power on. That's because
the battery backed up parts are supplied with main power and the reset
initializes them.

There might be other parts with problems but one could eliminate the DSP
by connecting the input and output audio cables together.

73, Jerry, K0CQ