Re: [TenTec] Symptoms of logic board failure

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Symptoms of logic board failure
From: "Don Steele" <dsteele@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:26:10 -0600
The original problem started during to 10 meter contest. All was working OK.
I took a short break, and when I came back, the audio was dead on the rig. I
cycled power, and at that point, the rig would not power up. No audio, no
display, and every LED indicator came on. Also the meter lamps were very
dim. I verified 13.66 volts out of the power supply, pulled the covers and
could find no obvious issues with a quick look around.
    However, before this all occurred, I was having issues with the rig,
which may or may not be related to the logic board. Most of this rigs use is
the second rig for SO2R RTTY contesting. I had many comments that my shift
was too wide, way off frequency, etc. However these were intermittent. I may
have made 30 or 40 qso's and only have 1 or 2 comments. Was it bad every
time? I do not know. I also has flickering meter lamps, with new bulbs, the
speech processor appeared to be inoperative, and the S meter was not reading
correctly, mostly stuck at about s 5 with very little movement. I do not
know,yet,if any of this was related to the logic board.
    I received the rig back this week and hope to begin some testing here
myself this weekend. I will keep the list informed if I can find any
issues.I am not a fully trained service tech and do not have any test
equipment other than a good multimeter, so I will be limited in how far I
can go with this.

Here is the list of problems from the service department at Ten Tec.

Rid has several major problems.
1.Time base (Logic Board) hard to start and will drop out.
2. Key pad will lock-up
3. Display missing "D" segment
4. Audio will drop out.
5. TX?Audio board needs 1 or 2 crystals,RX and PLL not tested,RF amp working
but no ALC.

Please keep in mind, I am not faulting Ten Tec or their service department
in any way. Paul gave me the choice of continuing the trouble shooting and
repair as far as I was willing to pay for. However, he said we could easily
spend 400 to 500 dollars and possibly end up with a logic board problem that
they could not fix. Stopping where they did was my choice financially. As
has been mentioned these are around a 1000.00 dollar rig used. Would you
spend up to 500.00 out of your pocket, with no guarantee that the rig would
be fixed?? Think about it.

Don
NT0F

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>