Re: [TenTec] Omni VI 1st IF Narrow CW Filter Enable?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI 1st IF Narrow CW Filter Enable?
From: John Oglesby <john91@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:14:53 -0500
Don - When I was discussing the passband of the two filters, what I was
really getting at was the passband ripple of the two filters.  I don't
think that they have very good shaping compared to the INRAD filters.
If the passband ripple is different between the two filters, then you
can have significant loss even if they are set correctly with the
passband tuning. The center frequencies aren't critical due to the
conversion scheme.  In my radio, the TT filter pair was quite lossy.
Even with the gain set on high the 250Hz filters were significantly down
on signal level.  I had to add an amplifier stage following the N-2
filter to get the gain to balance between the 500 and 250 filters.

When I installed the INRAD filters I removed the added amplifier and
gain balance was identical between the 250, 500 and SSB filters.

73
John