Re: [TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga
From: Jack Mandelman <modelman@ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:45:52 -0500
On Jan 3, 2011, WA0OJS (Ron) posted to the "Yahoo Omni VII group" that
he experienced the same symptoms with his Omni VII ATU.    Quoting a
portion of Ron's  post here: "I returned it to TenTec and the fix was
"found fl3 and fl6 intermittent, replaced and set power memory on
radio", they also updated the boot-loader and software."  From the
commonality of this problem, I surmise that FL3 and FL6 are the filters
referenced by Paul Clinton (see attached note below).

I find that FL3 and FL6 are 455kHz ceramic filters at the output of the
SA612 mixer, converting TX from 14kHz to 455kHz.   FL3 and FL6 have 6dB
bandwidths of 2kHz and 10kHz, respectively.  Each filter then goes to a
separate input of an analog switch.  Since at all times one of these
filters is in the low-level TX chain, I fail to see how a defective
filter can affect ATU function without affecting normal TX (when not in
tune).    In my situation I have never observed any intermittent
decrease in power out under normal operating conditions.

I hope someone besides me would please examine the schematic named "IF"
in the 81997 folder of the Omni VII schematics package.   If someone is
up to the task, your comments are greatly appreciated.

73,
Jack K1VT