Re: [TenTec] New Eagle - but odd sounding audio nosie

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Eagle - but odd sounding audio nosie
From: Jack Mandelman <modelman@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:24:30 -0500
Thomas,

There are two things that you can try;  1) use a slow AGC setting, 2)
turn down the RF gain.

I find that this effect is also present on my Omni VII.  At a fast AGC
setting the leading edge of a strong CW character may overload the A/D
converter unless the RF gain is turned down.  At a slow AGC setting the
leading edge of the first character will still produce distortion, but
the effect is hardly noticeable because the longer AGC hang time is
sufficient to keep the gain reduced when the next character starts.
This is just a matter of getting used to operating and receiver with DSP.

73,
Jack K1VT