Re: [TenTec] KPA 500

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] KPA 500
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:05:57 -0500
Not completely true, George.
Build it robust, and then with tiny delays in some of the protection
circuit.

The overheat protection needs to kick in instantly.

The high SWR should be "slow blow".
Obviously you don't want to run it into a high SWR antenna.
In the winter, when antennas tend to blow around a lot, get wet, etc. you
can have instantaneous swings in the SWR (up and down). These last less than
a second, but cause the ALS-600 to blow, even though there was no danger.

Henry had a series of transistorized amps and he didn't pay attention to
SWR.
The amp's protection triggered when the transistors got too hot.
I used this amp in contests successfully for several years.
I dumped the MFJ the first year.

There are differences.  There are good ones and bad ones.
Give the SWR protection a slow-blow function and we can live with it.

73
Rick