Re: [TenTec] Corsair - blank LED segments

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair - blank LED segments
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:39:25 -0500
All electrolytics need power at least every couple years. The
electrolyte eats away at the insulation layer formed after they are
assembled. So they go downhill continuously while not powered. That
forming by applying voltage creates the thin insulation layer that
allows them to be compact. Some would say the miniature electrolytics
need power at least annually.

There are many miniature electrolytics throughout the radio that
probably would allow better performance if replaced with new capacitors
chosen for lowest ESR available. Sometimes I've bought new low cost
capacitors that had a higher ESR or power factor on my capacitor checker
than I could accept. So the cheapest are not a bargain. I prefer to read
the date code and accept no electrolytics more than a year old.

In theory, its possible to reform old electrolytics. Clean just one that
has exploded out of a radio and you won't want to reform any more. Been
there, done that, cleaned up the mess.

73, Jerry, K0CQ