Re: [TenTec] Smaller 20M Rhombic Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Smaller 20M Rhombic Question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:20:35 -0500
Agree on the NVIS which we used to consider normal 80 and 40 meter
antennas for all but the richest hams. I don't think the extreme of 6'
with its hazards is necessary, 20 feet works fine for me and for my
club. One time we were at a university horticulture farm complete with
multiple wind mills, a couple on 150' towers about 150 feet apart. Our
tower climber scrambled up those and hung an 80 meter dipole 120 feet
up. It was great at putting a signal into California (from Iowa) but
didn't put an outstanding signal there and was useless for surrounding
states where the biggest number of FD contacts are made. We've had
better 80 meter FDs with a 500' loop strung ten or twelve feet high
through the woods or with an inverted V hung from a 30' tower.

I used an extended double Zepp at home for decades from 160 through 2m.
It had several different feed lines in the lifetime of its supports and
didn't seem to work differently when I raised the feed point from 30' to
55' working my dad about 400 miles distant. It can provide odd enough
feed impedances that limited range tuners won't tune it. I used home
made link coupled tuners all that time.

73, Jerry, K0CQ