[TenTec] Solving PTO drift

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Solving PTO drift
From: Andrew Moore <andrew.nv1b@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 09:02:14 -0400
Before I start trying to isolate the source of my Corsair II's PTO drift, I
wonder if anyone has suggestions about possible causes.

I'm making a couple assumptions: 1) the drift is due to temperature
(probably a safe assumption), and 2) since the same amount of drift appears
on both TX and RX, the source is inside the PTO.  It's #2 that I'm not
entirely convinced of, since there are shared TX/RX paths elsewhere.  But
given the mechanical nature and sensitivity of the PTO, it seems to be a
good place to start.

Unfortunately I no longer have a scope here so troubleshooting this will be
a little tough.

I'm tempted to install a small quiet, brushless fan to the rig to stabilize
temperature, but I'd prefer to find the cause of the problem instead of a
workaround.

I don't want to go the DDS route yet on this rig. While I understand the
benefits, I'd like to keep this one as stock as possible.  I love the harsh
sidetone, sticky potentiometers and clunky relays.  I just don't love the
slight drift (and I've had stable Corsairs before, so I know it's possible
to get there).

Thanks,
--Andrew, NV1B
..