Re: [TenTec] What Radio/how much power?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Radio/how much power?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:17:17 -1000
I don't think "where does it stop?" is really the question. We know the
answer to that is either at the legal limit, or the limit you can afford
to buy or the amount of effort you want to put into to building an
amplifier.

A more interesting question to me is: "What is the minimum amount of
gain necessary to make it worth the trouble of using that higher power?"

How much trouble is it to have a 200 watt transceiver, versus a 100 watt
transceiver? Maybe not much trouble if it just means spending a little
bit more money. In that case the 3 dB you gain may be worth the trouble.
In a portable, mobile, or "alternative" energy source setup, maybe it is
not worth the trouble.

How much trouble is it to have an outboard amplifier to get some gain? A
bit more trouble, because of additional connections, more space on the
operating desk, T/R switching limitations, etcetera. I would say it is
not worth the trouble if that external amplifier only gives you 3 to 4
dB gain. It may be worth the trouble if it gives you 6 dB or more gain.

In other words, I would not bother to use an external amplifier with a
single 811A or 572B, with my 100 watt transceiver. I have used a SB-200
(pair of 572B) with a 100 watt transceiver, and thought that it was
worth the trouble.

Similarly, if I already had a setup working with a 500 or 600 watt
amplifier, I would not bother to look for a 1 kW amplifier as an
upgrade. I would look for a full 1.5 kW one though.

DE N6KB