Re: [TenTec] Fwd: OmniVI logic board work

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: OmniVI logic board work
From: Glenn <wa4aos@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Gary,

Yes but the scope of my testing and interest thus far has been more about
weak signals in a typical QRP sprint or simple weak signal work in the absence
of contest conditions.
The K3 or an Orion or any number of transceivers that have excellent close in
dynamic range specs
will be best for contest conditions where signals are mixed from QRP to above
legal limit signals being transmitted;
November Sweepstakes comes to mind Hi..

Many times when the bands, 30, 40 and 20 meters as examples, may be active but
not wall to wall  with big signals. This is when I like to work CW QRP.
Often times there are 10 or more QRP stations within a KHz or two of the
calling freqs. This is when I want my rig to be able to separate and CLEANLY
DEFINE weak signals close together.
It is a given, that good close in dynamic range is important as well as decent
sensitivity. This is where I find DSP derived IF rigs to be deficient in
cleanly defining
signal detail when the signals are close together.

This is also where I find the Omni 6 and Corsair 1 or 2 to be superior. As
mentioned, I have not yet tested the same scenario where
I have two very weak signals in the same passband and an S9 or stronger signal
2 KHz up or down. There will be a trade offs and at some point.
Once the signals are strong enough a K3 or Orion will be better but again when
the signals are very weak, the analog IF, In my controlled test, proved to be
superior,

Personally, I think many Hams are too focused on Sherwood's specs. Although
Robert is a very talented man who has provided a great deal of well though out
testing and Data, many operators will not realize those slight variations in
performance for the most part.
 I enjoy weak signal QRP and casual, cheery picking, contest. Another guy may
be content operating SSB nets and SSB rag chew.
Others are enamored with rig size and fancy knobs or how heavily weighted the
tuning knob is..

My point is, if you are after a sexy looking radio with a heavy tuning knob and
lots of pretty illuminated knobs and buttons, perhaps neither Elecraft or Ten
Tec is the right company for you.
If you are a contester, CW op, or QRP op, they certainly are companies to
consider very strongly.
 Not saying that the off shore made radios are not good, they are indeed very
good and some very expensive but for my interest in the hobby,
Ten Tec has had the most to offer.

This my interest in gearing up to support the Logic board in the Omni 6. So far
I have found sources for all of the 22) O6 IC's, some are getting very hard to
find. I have spent over $1500 stocking up on these parts
and building special test fixtures. I have dedicated 2) Omni 6 as test beds and
that was expensive. One is to QC my inventory of incoming IC's or to test IC's
when a board is not running well enough that I can troubleshoot it with my
logic analyzer, scopes, logic probes and DVM's. The other test bed is to test
client boards and to burn them in after repairs are effected without disturbing
the bed with the the special ZIF sockets.

 ZIF, means Zero Insertion Force. It has a lever that allows socket pins to
open and close so an IC can be installed tested and removed quickly.. I will
assume any logic board with more than 2 IC's defective to possibly have
experienced a nasty surge or a TIP... TECHNICIAN INDUCED PROBLEM.. Hi Hi  As
such, those boards are subject to additional failuers and need to be burned in
for at aleast 48 hours or longer.

I recently repaired a board with 18 out of 22 IC's defective; obviously, I
lightning hit. In that case, My test equipment was of no help in this case. The
micro-controllers were not working, the front panel was dead, no clock signals;
that was the worse case scenario. Keep in mind, most of the IC's on the Omni 6
logic board are soldered in. I prefer to install high quality machined sockets
when changing IC's. This will save time replacing that part if it fails again.

I started by replacing U1 the main micro-controller to see if I could get the
primary buss up, No go, Next was the ROM, still no go,
then The RAM, no go. Next, I replaced the Codec and finally had a bus working
well enough that I could use my logic analyzer and scope to start looking at
signals. In that case, I had to take one IC off at a time and test it in my
test board unit that has ZIF sockets. If the processor is running there are
many things that can be observed such as all 3 of the encoders communicating
with the logic board, the Serial interlace signals and logic stat signals when
front panel functions are invoked.

Regards,

Glenn WA4AOS
DSM Labs  (dot com)