[TenTec] Fwd: Motorola MC68705P3

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Fwd: Motorola MC68705P3
From: Glenn <wa4aos@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:21:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jerry,

Sorry you had a bad experience with Paul. He is a very talented and trustworthy
man and a [ersonal friend.. Without going into any detail, I spoke to him at
the TT fest and he has some pressing things on his plate now. Not making
excuses but we all have good and bad days. God knows my fuse has been short on
many occasions; Just ask my wonderful wife.
BTW, you can see a pic of Donna my XYL if you pull my call up on QRZ and scroll
to the bottom of the page. I really did marry up. Hi..

I know where Paul is coming from. Their labor rate is about $65 per hour and it
does not take long to eat up a lot of money working on Corsairs. As the Service
Manager he has to manage the time of his tech's and can't keep them on projects
for long periods of time. Well, I guess he can but then the customers are going
to bitch when the invoice has $300 to $400 in labor fees.  Not to mention that
they try to service about every thing they have made with just a few exceptions
and every year that list get's longer. The other issue is they have to have
talent in many arenas. RF, Audio, Digital, TTL, regular Solid State, Dip, SMT
and point to point wiring technologies. It is hard to find people who are
decent in all areas and he probably does well to keep that kind of talent in
house.
Honestly, Paul does a pretty good job keeping it all together and putting up
with us cranky hams.. Hi Hi

I think the future of the Corsair rigs is bright for those of us in particular
who can do some of the repair work. Often, if I am talking to a client who
knows which end of a soldering iron to hold, I'll get him to do some of the
work before he ships an item in. In some cases, cleaning connectors with DeOxit
or doing some simple test will either resolve the problem or give enough
information to get started once the unit comes in for repair.
At least the owner will become a little more knowledgeable of his unit before
it's shipped in for repairs.

Ten Tec use to be real good about sending out boards for guys to swap out and
then let them send the defective board back. Back in the 80's I dealt with
Larry Worth before Paul took over the Service department and on several
occasions  He sent parts to me without any charge, the honor system. If that
resolved the problem I would send in the old part and in a week or three, I
would receive a very modest bill for the part.

Now with the boards being more expensive and sensitive to static damage, I
suspect Ten Tec would rather the average Ham send his unit in for service.

With regard to the MC68705P3 I bought 100 of them for a dollar each. The guy I
bought them from has a burner for those that he trying to find to ship to me.
However, this chip is not like an EPROM where you can easily read an IC store
the code in a file and burn a new one; the code is tricky do catch. There is at
least one fellow who figured out a process. I hope to get the burner and figure
a way to get a file with the code so I can burn new code. But that's another
project.

If there is anyone on the list who is familiar with reading these IC's I would
enjoy learning the technique.

73,
Glenn WA4AOS
DSM Labs (dot com)