Re: [TenTec] Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question
From: Floyd Sense <floyd@k8ac.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:44:33 -0400
I wouldn't call any of the panadaptor approaches "plug and play",  but
it does work just fine. You will of course need the IF tap on the Orion
II and that's well documented.  Currently, I'm using SpectraVue with
SDR-IQ and my Orion II and use DXLab for logging and frequency control.
So, mousing on a signal on the panadaptor sets the Orion to that
frequency and DXLab picks up the frequency as well.  When the Orion is
tuned, DXLab and SpectraVue both follow along.  I use com port sharing
software that allows DXLab and SpectraVue to both communicate with the
Orion over the same com port.  I'm away from the station this week, so
can't tell you the name of the port sharing software.  I tried a few
different programs for that function and found that some do a poor job
of managing the rig traffic, while the one I use does it perfectly.
This one is free, where others I tried were rather expensive considering
they worked poorly.

One important aspect is getting the Orion frequency offsets right for
the mode you're using and both SpectraVue and the N4PY software do that
correctly.  I've found SpectraVue to be extremely stable on my Windows 7
system, where the program I previously used (PowerSDR/IF) was very
unstable and frequently locked up my system.

Before the Orion II, my rig was a K3 with P3 panadaptor and while the P3
was quite impressive, I find the SDR-IQ/SpectraVue combination to be a
superior approach (and the Orion II to be superior to the K3).

73, Floyd - K8AC