Re: [TenTec] 160m for th Ten Tec 418?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160m for th Ten Tec 418?
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 12:35:40 -0500
I have two of the Argonaut II QRP rigs, and greatly enjoy them.  They
keep pushing the Corsair II and the Omni V.9 off the desk and onto the
storage shelf.  In the 20 years since I bought my first Argo II, I have
made exactly one contact on 160 meters with it.  Somehow I got my GAP
vertical to load up.  But, I think it is a nice option to have, and I
plan to make much more use of the Top Band when I retire to my acreage
up north.

The Tokyo Hi-Power QRP amp intended for the little Yaesu rigs covers 160
to 6 meters.  I have been thinking about getting one of those, as it
puts out about the same power at a good 6146 tube transmitter, and would
provide a bit more power for those times when 5 watts to a ground
mounted trap vertical simply do not get any contacts.  Elecraft is also
working on a 100 watt amp for their QRP rigs.  So, there must be a
perceived need for amplifiers of this sort.

I am very glad that Ten Tec is working on a new QRP rig and this amplifier!

Steve WA9JML