[TenTec] Triton Side panel replacement

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Triton Side panel replacement
From: Glenn <wa4aos@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:17:57 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Group,

For sometime I have considered having wood side panel replacements made for the
Triton transceivers. I have made drawings for the replacements
and have a CNC shop that can do the work. Also, mounting screws would be
machine screws and not tapered wood or metal screws. This will facilitate
opening the unit up for repairs with no concern of stripping anything. I don't
have a final price but would like to see the cost be around $50 give or take,
If I have these made, I will sell them to users of this reflector at my cost
plus shipping for 30 days and then sell them elsewhere at a higher price.
I am considering Oak but other woods can be used. There are some exotic
hardwood that are beautiful but also more expensive. My CNC guy does not care
but he wants to work with one wood type at a time to keep his human
intervention efforts minimal.

The Triton IV's had the aluminium, non painted front panels and many have
oxidized  or have rub marks, not to mention scratches, mod holes and other
damages. I may additionally look into having new panels made and screened. My
cost to have these done will be near $50 each as well. The screening alone is
right at $20 unless the screen shop can screen multiple panels at the same
time.

The Triton IV's, although, not as good as a Corsair, are decent transceivers
and with a cosmetic face lift might well be a great companion to a Corsair or
Omni ?? rig.
Some of the Triton IV's will need lots of work such as band switch wafers
replaced, solder connections redone and old caps replaced. Clearly not
something that would be cost effective to have done, however, many of the users
of this group are technically minded and enjoy tinkering. This is one of those
labor of love projects that could be loads of fun and yielding a nice looking
Rig. Personally, I like the look of Hawaiian Koa but the cost of the wood might
exceed the cost of the Triton; but it's cute!

So, is there interest or what are your thoughts?

Regards,

Glenn WA4AOS
DSM Labs (dot com)