Re: [TenTec] Corsair II sidetone mod

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II sidetone mod
From: "Joe" <joe@n4yg.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:40:55 -0500
I agree Paul, if 2 or 3 bucks is important to you, then the Twin-T is the
way to go. I agree, it is a more complex solution. The hardware might be
slightly more complex, but I would venture a guess that the DDS solution has
fewer parts once the keying and interface components are added to the
Twin-T. The firmware is complex, but is available at not cost. If you want
to hear the artifact of the Corsair II's QSK, just disable the sidetone and
hit the key. You will hear the thump. It is not related to any sidetone
implementation.

I think the DDS solution is better. While the Twin-T gives a nice sine wave,
my observation of both on the oscilloscope shows less distortion in the DDS
sine wave. It also has more output. The waveform is much better with the
DDS. Why? 1) When keyed, the DDS always begins and ends at zero phase where
as the Twin-T begins and ends at random phase. That makes for better keying
waveform. 2) The audio envelope shape is much better also because amplitude
weighting of the leading and trailing edges is accomplished in firmware by
starting at -18 dB (relative to the max amplitude) on the leading edge and
increased in 3db steps, each increase being applied at zero phase. The
trailing edge is shaped in like manner.

I have the DDS circuit in my Corsair II and I am very pleased with it. I was
not pleased with the Twin-T, but it was much better than the original. I
also have the DDS circuit in a code practice oscillator. It is the best
sounding one that I have ever heard.

Joe, N4YG