Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 with Acom 2000A amplifier: TX EN mod

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 with Acom 2000A amplifier: TX EN mod
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:21:11 -0400
Thanks Paul.  This seems like a fundamentally important issue that
probably gets glossed over.  Your solution seems like a fundamentally
sound alternate solution.

From Acom's findings, it seems that the TX EN is the problematic
circuit of the keying loop.  TX OUT is simply being generated by TX
ACK, which I believe should be fine.

Acom's diagnosis (paraphrased from the doc with reference designators
changed to match Omni 6+ control board schematic p4-17): "The problem
in the original wiring is that when you pull the TX_EN input to the
ground, the transceiver unconditionally changes to transmit mode,
regardless of having pressed PTT or CW KEY at all. Also, you cannot
return to RX after releasing the PTT or KEY until the TX_EN is
grounded. . . . . Another problem exists in the original schematic.
The base of Q14 is floating during RX mode, so any (even
insignificant) residual emitter-collector current of Q15, as well as
any reverse collector-base current of Q14, both would lead to
uncontrolled transmit mode of the transceiver."

73, Barry N1EU