[TenTec] Getting started in digital modes

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Getting started in digital modes
From: John K3GHH <k3ghh@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:23:15 +0000
I hope someone can direct me to a beginner's tutorial on this topic
somewhere.

I just hooked my new TigerTronics SignaLink USB box between my Linux
(Kubuntu 11.04, Natty) computer and my Orion II, after properly
installing the four jumper wires in the SignaLink. I fired up Fldigi,
configuring its audio (using the "PortAudio" option) capture and
playback as "USB Audio CODEC..."

At first I mistakenly plugged the 8-pin plug, on the cable from the SL,
into the wrong socket on the Orion (the lower one of the two, I forget
what it's called, designed for the remote control accessory); I hope
that didn't do any damage.

But... I don't know what to do next! There are some digital signals
around 14.085 and they show up on the Fldigi waterfall display but with
"OpMode" RTTY45 no text appears. Maybe it's not RTTY (or, at least,
RTTY45) at all... I tried a few other OpMode's and with MFSK8 text is
written to the receive pane, but it's random letters and symbols
unrelated to what I can hear on the O2 speaker.

Needless to say, it seemed prudent not to try any transmitting yet.

Any suggestions where I can go for some step-by-step guidance? Yahoo
linuxham, maybe, but it seems focused on hamlib...

--
John K3GHH