Re: [TenTec] Getting started in digital modes

To: John K3GHH <k3ghh@arrl.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Getting started in digital modes
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:53:08 -0400
John,

Have you reversed the mark and space tones by any chance?   RTTY requires that
the mark
and space frequencies have the proper relationship or all you get is gibberish.

I think I recall that you are using fldigi.  fldigi workes backward from most
RTTY
demodulators in that the standard is lower sideband.  fldigi uses upper
sideband as default.

A quick way to see if tone/sideband reversal is the culprit is to toggle the
"Rev" (reverse)
button on the fldigi screen just to the left of the "T/R" button (lower right
corner).

IIRC, fldigi wants the radio to be set to USB and the "Rev" button not
illuminated.

If you don't even get gibberish, perhaps the squelch is set too high.  Those
controls are also
on the lower right corner of fldigi screen.

Good luck.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY