Re: [TenTec] discarded receiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] discarded receiver
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:25:16 -0600
Doug,
To provide the interfaces, designs, etc. that are not public domain, to
provide substitute software, etc.,  you are talking about spending for
one receiver, about as much as a complete stand alone receiver, IMHO.

You might be able to strap some of the auto controls out of circuit and
use the basic receiver block diagram as a simple receiver.  What I
suspect is that the sub receiver probably used some front end filtering
shared with the main receiver, and that is costly to recreate the tuned
front end.

It may be that the receiver board was more independent, but my SWAG is
it was just duplicating a detector, and perhaps an IF string.  Did it
even have an independent audio out circuit?

You would have to study the block diagram and schematics well before
embarking on such a project.  I would also speculate that the demand
would be so intermittent or low that it would not be economical to kit
up by a vendor.

Certainly, there is nothing in it for Ten Tec, who after all, are
selling a complete transceiver with improved sub receiver.

But, if you go to the theory of operation of the model, you might answer
these questions after some study.

I have seen many wonderful circuits supplanted by later model upgrades,
and I have often wondered why you could not put the whole to work as an
independent whatever.  invariably, upon close study, these wholesale
removed circuits are nothing more than a compact storage of parts which
you might reuse in something else completely different.  And, that is
how they usually end up in our junkboxes.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH