Re: [TenTec] RF Gain control

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Gain control
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:26:28 +0700
But but but...

They are not pots, they are encoders that drive the software, yes even the
RF and AF gain, hence my original suggestion to have the RF gain changeable
to AF gain on the multi knob with RF gain then available on the AF knob.
However a more elegant solution might be to do this in software but retain
the names such that AF gain actually varies the DSP drive level and RF gain
sets the perceived noise level.

But still you are right the multi knob, though a great idea does seem to be
a bit over used. As an example I rarely use the PBT/BW and Hi/Lo cut at the
same time and would rather they were an either or selection, same goes for
the RIT function which I almost never if ever use, much preferring true
split op. Were I involved in any sort of design forum I would argue for a
similar sort of display with perimeter soft keys but also perimeter soft
encoders such that the user could arrange function based on preference with
no fixed state. I would do this with a configurator application on a pc that
could be uploaded to the radio to change the panel layout.

Regards
Martin, HS0ZED