[TenTec] Orion I main and RX366 subreceiver differences

To: "'tentec@contesting.com'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion I main and RX366 subreceiver differences
From: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:53:06 -0400
I had some major problems in the antenna systems this weekend (lightning) so
spent some time comparing the main receiver in one of my Orions with the new
RX366  subreceiver.  With the big signals on 15m SSB during the contest, I
noticed some annoying 'sizzling' sounds on the main rx audio.  I had also
noticed this in the V2 firmware.  The other Orion still has good old 1.372
installed, much less noticeable on that rig.  When switching  back and forth
between the V3 Orion main and subreceiver (by hitting the Main and Sub Audio
controls) I noticed the subreceiver was totally clean while the main had that
annoying sizzling.  Both receivers had identical bandwidths, etc, and I had
just done a master reset before listening.

I would have thought that the two receivers would have had similar
characteristics with the same firmware! Is there some substantial difference in
the hardware for these two frontends?   I have promoted the subreceiver to be
the normal receiver from this point on.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ