Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tu

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tuning...
From: "chacuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:48:55 -0500
Thanks for the input Ray..

I continue to try different settings but the 20hz has worked well for me
also.  Seems the biggest player is the RF gain setting as well.. It seems to
determine the depth the signals outside the passband are attenuated but
there seems to be a fine line between giving up too much gain and reducing
the wanted signal and pushing the background down to increase the S/N ratio.

A very nice tool to have.

My first experience with an APF was my Yaesu FT-1000D.  It was
phenomenol....Yaseu hasn't duplicated it since in any rig I have been able
to use.(MP and MKV)  My hopes are high that this SAF system will develop
into as effective a system as the Yaesu APF as implemented in the FT-1000D.
The implementation in the FT-1000MP and MKV were pretty much useless.  I
also have a lot of experience with the Icom products and just didn't find
anything in their line for less than $14K that came close to meeting my
desires. (even thought the local Icom dealer is a close personal friend)

All that said I am very appreciative of TT's continued efforts to make this
OII platform the best it can be.  I'm new to the Ten-Tec family being a
diehard Yaesu fan for years.  I hope to pick up the new RX-366 receiver
upgrade in the next couple months.  Picked up a nice Centurion to match the
OII.  Best station I have ever owned hands down...

Cecil
K5DL