Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC shack photos [flat braid; antenna switch]

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC shack photos [flat braid; antenna switch]
From: Gene Story - Earthlink <gfstory@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:32:50 -0700
All of my equipment is connected back to a common point on the power supply
which is as described by Bob so the station fundamentally is setup correctly
including external station where I do have PolyPhaser lightning arrestors
located.  I think most of us know that direct hit and close-in hits can overrun
our best efforts but best efforts have been made and when we know of a
potential situation brewing, as much as possible is simply disconnected.

Back to the switches, ALPHA DELTA recommends external grounding their switches
to the station ground.  And of course these switches contain Arc-Plug's which I
believe are gas filled.  The switch-active position is protected by these.

The "COM" position is also protected by the Arc-Plug.  I mean the COM position
does NOT short to ground when rotated to this position as represented by the
label, at least not until a high energy situation occurs and the energy passed
through the Arc-plug to the station ground or attempts to get to ground through
the '259 connectors and coaxial braid.

Non-active switch positions are indeed shorted to the frame of the switch
housing which includes the barrel-threads of the SO-239 connectors.

Have I opened a big can of worms here?  I hope everyone will consider this
thread a relevant topic to our investments in T-T equipment as well as our
personal safety.  Ok…and other gear too.

Gene  /  K7TXO