Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:35:34 -0500
Lets step back a minute and examine the real purpose for Field Day.  It was
established to hone the skills of operators and the use of their equipment
in the event of any emergency.  Making X number of contacts with subsequent
multipliers was  no where in the original description.  I worked many Field
Day events starting back in the early 60's.  There's a reason that I don't
even connect my station antennas on Field Day.  Based on the original
intent, I view there is no value in Field Day activity today.

For those that do and did participate in Field Day activities, what did you
take away from the experience?  Are you a better operator?  Are you better
prepared in the event of and emergency where communications are need?  I do
hope something was learned.  For those that provided radios and other
ancillary equipment, did you evaluate the skills of the operators and the
needs for the event and prepare before the event accordingly?  Were the
operators correctly instructed in operation of the equipment and were there
facilitators to assist in keeping stations up an running?

My last Field Day experience basically proved that hams today have changed
and are largely unable to handle issues that might arise in an emergency
situation.  In most instances, egos abound and quality and logical thought
is lacking.

73
Bob, K4TAX