Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:40:46 -0500
I have to differ with the sentiment to make FD into a full blown
"unknown when it happens" Em Comm event.  There is already one or more
of those under national ARES training, and it is called the National
Simulated Emergency Test (ARES SET).  It has flexible dates in the
October time frame.  It has objectives including PR, and message
handling as a continuous aspect, while FD only requires 11 messages for
credit.  It becomes a challenge to man both types of assistance requests
local and statewide.

In TX the last few times, the SET has had statewide and local one day
scenarios at the same time, to be more realistic.  Deployment teams for
state wide service can thus practice, as well as local teams serving
agencies such as Red Cross.

FD serves as an ideal training ground or testing ground for sustained
operations-- 24 hours of steady radio use as the ideal.  It offers a
chance to find out what antennas and what equipment is most easily
deployed and operated by a wide sample of the amateur community, not
just the club members who use the club station all year around.  Lessons
learned at the present FD format should be applied to ARES planning and
certainly is, in our area.

It offers a chance to test power sources for emergency uses.  A few
years back we went into a cooperative arrangement with our local
electric utility to use their Solar Power demonstration trailer.
We had previously used generators for many years, then batteries for a
number of years as a QRP entry. (And did quite well with a Ten Tec Scout).

The Solar unit consists of a solar array on a trailer which also
contains the batteries to be charged, and inverters to generate 120 VAC
from the solar input.
The first time, we did not know if it had the capability to sustain 24
hours, as it was made for typical one day demos at special events,
simulating a household electric load.  It passed, giving reliable
service for several Field Days since.  We have gained experience in the
care and maintenance of solar powered sources.  (Washing the solar array
is a special skill done for highest efficiency, but not at the hottest
part of the day).

We test our Ten Tec equipment at Field Days to prove it can work better
than import radios, for sorting out stations in crowded band conditions.
It also demonstrates the simplicity of controls and menus can be a big
asset when many operators are trying to efficiently use a radio that may
not be the model they are used to at home.

FD can have the more relaxed social aspect which is good for club
morale, and SET offers a yardstick against which to test our training
for various types of emergencies where ARES may be asked to help.  SET
varies the requested jobs each year, in the ideal planning based on
local needs.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH, ARES AEC