Re: [TenTec] Headset connection

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headset connection
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 11:13:28 -0700
On 10/2/2012 4:35 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
In many mike elements the voltage swing from + to - is not equal.

Actually, this is a characteristic not only of the human voice, but also of some acoustic musical instruments. Back when we both were young pups, AM broadcasters used polarity flippers in the audio line so that the hottest side of the waveform was always on top. As I recall, this was one of Leonard Kahn's ideas. I remember having built a negative peak clipper for my rig in the late 50s. BTW -- the reason for this is that distortion is produced by carrier cutoff, but not on the positive peak. I'm sure you know all this stuff, Bob, but others may not.

73, Jim