Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:19:40 -0500
Dave:

I suspect the original pin configuration was conceived from the Engineering point of view of implementation without realizing that a "standard" cable purchased off the shelf was not constructed in the way needed. Then to standardize the Orion's, Omni VII's and other radios AUX connector functions, the change was necessary to use the standard cable.

Your point is well taken on the FSK matter with regard to levels. From my thoughts, working PSK-31 and changing to AFSK, the levels are handled by the computer software and I find no level change is required when changing modes.

I see a strong recall of ideas and procedure as applied to old rigs, old methods and old thinking on many topics, which today are totally incorrect as applied to new modern radios, computers and such. Even with basic thoughts and laws of Physics pertaining to antennas, feedlines, tuners, baluns and etc., I see a large disparity of information.

As Will Rodgers said "it's not what people know that concerns me, it's what they know that isn't correct that gives me concerns". Today in my work today, as I encounter people and as we discuss a certain product, I find that 9 out of 10 people have 100% incorrect information on the topic. It is the "well I was told........bla, bla bla" Basically 20 years ago what they were told was correct. Today it is 100% incorrect.

I too often find that I have to update my thinking and understanding on many topics as related to ham radio matters. And too, more often than not, there is something I've overlooked which puts me in the wrong thinking toward an application. Yet, I still have to return to the fact ...the laws of Physics haven't changed. Sometimes I forget that fact........largely chalked up to " a senior moment" in my case. I view that 55 years in ham radio and electronics and 70 years of age has its merits and drawbacks.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: <d.e.warnick@comcast.net>