Re: [TenTec] Model 238 C Issues Resolved

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 238 C Issues Resolved
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 09:47:45 -0800
On 11/16/2012 3:55 PM, Richards wrote:
I once enjoyed the sheer convenience of the AT-AUTO... but now that I know how to quickly adjust the 238C, that convenience no longer seems so important.

Yes, the Ten Tec tuners are surely first rate, and while I haven't seen one of the new generation that replaced the dial cord with a vernier, I'm confident that they're a nice step up from those that used the dial cord. BTW --there are some fixed caps that tend to fry. if you do contesting at legal limit power, at least in the older units I've owned. They're fairly easy to replace. I used inexpensive surplus parts that I bought from Halted (also called HSC) for a buck or so apiece.

That said, I'm VERY pleased with my new Elecraft KAT500 auto tuner, which I've been beta testing for about two months. Rated 600W for 20:1 SWR, and legal limit for a load that is 3:1 or better. Three outputs, each with per-band memories. $700. There used to be six Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners on my operating desk. Now there are three in my closet, a 238 I plan to keep, a 229 with a bad band switch, and a 229 that works but with a dial cord that needs re-stringing. The others are sold.

73, Jim K9YC