Re: [TenTec] Fair Market Price for Omni VI+ will all filters&matching PS

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fair Market Price for Omni VI+ will all filters&matching PS ?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:00:22 -0600
Yes, I do have documentation on the enhancements. Unfortunately of the 6 or 7 radios it seems that they all do not exhibit the same exact issues and therefore I've found each requires different approaches and methods to clear up the birdies.

On the birdie issue, I start with a 1/2" ID #43 bead which is split in two halves. I can then put it around each cable, one end then the other, and observe the difference. Then move on to another one. Once I've found the optimum for that specific radio I can then go in and in some cases I need to re-make the ribbon cables as they need to be a bit longer to allow the new cable to make at least one turn through the bead and include a bead in the correct place with the new cable configuration. This must be done before the Mass Termination Connector or ribbon connector is applied. Average radio may take a couple of days on the bench to seek out the enhancements. Once all this is done, you will find the receive on the Omni VI Plus to be superior on the bands with few if any birdies found or heard.

The PA stabilization is basically accomplished by replacing the disk ceramic caps with chip type components. Specifically, C4, C5, C6, C7, C10, C11, C12, C13, C15, C16, C17. Also make sure that D2 and D3 are thermally connected to the heat sink. This effort was done in as much as I run the PA at 10 to 15 watts, through a resistive attenuator to drive the VHF or UHF transverters. At that level, there was some "nasty" stuff coming out of the PA and thus not normally found at rated output. At rated output, the PA is normally very clean.

It is just so annoying to do weak signal work where one listens and listens and only discover it is a darn internal birdie about the noise floor level. Just the nature of crystal mixing radios. They all have them, some worse than others, no brands/models exempted.

For what it's worth, the Omni VII, the Eagle and the Argonaut VI do not show any of these issues. Makes for HAPPY HAPPY on the VHF and UHF bands.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>