[TenTec] Replacement speaker for RX340

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Replacement speaker for RX340
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:58:49 -0500
I suspect that few of us use the internal speakers in our receivers very often -- I know I don't. However, I hate it when things do not work properly, even if I don't use them often. The voice coil in my RX340's internal speaker had been rubbing since day one, making it all but useless. I never bothered TT about it because the supplied speaker is a decidedly inferior part to begin with.

Well, I had the 340 apart for other reasons and on a lark I ordered a new speaker from Digi-Key:

Digi-Key GF1004H-ND   4" speaker 8 ohm 20 watt
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=GF1004H-ND

In a word, it is fantastic -- way better than I had hoped. It makes listening with the internal speaker a pleasure. I still won't do it much (generally only when I'm using the 340 to monitor a frequency while listening to another radio), but it's nice to know it works as it should. I used several short pieces of self-adhesive weatherstripping foam to prevent rattles from the speaker mounting screws contacting the top cover of the radio.

Space permitting, this speaher should be an upgrade for most anything with a 4" square speaker. It would also be a good candidate for anyone building a DIY speaker for their radios.

Best regards,

Charles