Re: [TenTec] ATU Performance & Results

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ATU Performance & Results
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:46:48 -0500
On 2/8/2013 3:34 PM, Dave wrote:
Bob,
this discussion fails to address the question of antenna
efficiency and relative field strength of the radiated signal.
Coaxial cable is extremely lossy when the SWR  ....is
above 3:1.  Thus, it will not be delivering significant power
to the antenna on non-resonant frequencies.

____________________________________

        I agree that there is respectively more loss
        the higher SWR is ... but I am uneasy with
        the notion you will lose all your signal power
        with a mere 3:1 or even a 6:1 SWR.  The figures
        I have seen, are are no where near that high.

        Can you quantify the actual loss in coax from,
        say a 5:1 SWR over a typical run of, say,
        80 feet of coax feed line?

        I have see various numbers on 43 foot monopole
        non-resonant antennas, and the loss is just not
        that high -- not that I dispute there is a significant
        loss - but not a drastic as you imply.

        Thus, I wonder if you could quantify the
        actual loss you think is involved.

        Not picking a fight... I am serious in that I
        don't believe the loss is as large as you suggest.
        But I am open to proof I am mistaken.