Re: [TenTec] External Speaker for Paragon II (307G)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] External Speaker for Paragon II (307G)
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:16:23 -0500
Speaker quality is a very subjective matter. Asking if a guy likes a speaker is like asking if he likes a certain bourbon better than another - the answer is inherently personal and subjective. Ask any 10 hams what speaker they like, and you will get 12 different answers.

What I like is a crisp, bright sound that cuts through ambient shack noise. There is good audio theory to support this choice. Nevertheless, other guys like a fuller, richer, more bass tone, which sounds more natural. Some hams drive themselves nuts trying to wring hi-fi quality out of 2800s Hz audio bandwidth (no flame intended, just observing this is a fact) because they want to sound as close to broadcast quality as they can. There are proponent for every sort of sound quality, and, it seems, just as many others who disparage the same.

So asking several hams what speaker sounds better, is a little like asking which beauty pageant model looks good to them - each one looks good to somebody.

Notwithstanding this ersatz disclaimer, we have been asked to render an opinion, and I think the 307 sounds better than the 961.

Notwithstanding, I believe there is a myriad of options which sound better than an inexpensive speaker in a metal cabinet. I have tried the offerings of each major ham radio manufacturer - Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, TT, and have listened to the other brands in my friends' shacks. In my view, they are very expensive for a hollow metal cabinet, with a $4 speaker at one end (although some also have a $5 filter network inside) - and they leave me flat. I find it hard to spend upwards of $150-$200 for a metal cabinet and an inexpensive single paper cone, speaker in it.

I compared the sound of the various TT speakers at TT HQ in Sevierville, and, was a tad surprised discover how different they each sound from each other. I think the 307 does sound better than the 961 speaker, although I (personally) do not feel it it sounds ENOUGH better to warrant spending another $100 to get one. (I am not disputing the price, per se - just saying I don't think it will sound $100 better than your existing 961 speaker to warrant spending another $100 to replace what you have now.)

Moreover, I was a tad surprised the 307 speaker and 940 speaker (the one with the built-in power supply) sound substantially different from each other. I figured they would sound more alike, having the same the same speaker element, but I guess the addition of the power supply changes the audio characteristics of the cabinet.

There are so many good speaker options - some guys like using small passive hi-fi speakers, while others like using passive or powered computer speakers, and still others like using passive or powered studio monitor speakers. You can tailor the resulting audio with a graphic equalizer, perhaps as a ersatz low cut filter to minimize low frequency hummm, and as a high cut filter to minimize hiss and static. Speakers from compact stereo systems often sound good.

There was a thread (in this group, about two years ago, I think) that discussed the optimum size of the speaker element to optimize speed intelligibility - It seems like 4" got the most support - and another thread where it was argued (based on a comment in QST Magazine, I think) that horizontal cabinet vents make for better speech intelligibility, then little round holes or vertical vents, and there was some some science to support the claim.

I have used various small RadioShack branded speakers (mostly from its Minimus line of compact speakers), as well as compact speakers made by B*I*C, Pyle-Home, M-Audio, Koss, Genius, Motorola, Cobra, Midland -- and many separate speaker elements I mounted in cabinets I made, myself, in my workshop -- seeking the Holy Grail of cheap, clear ham radio speakers. I should do well at the next swap meet just selling my collection of small speakers. My next attempt will be the Behringer Behritone C50A 30W active full-range reference studio monitor which is based on the popular old Avantone studio monitors. It has a 5.25 " element in a 6.25" cube cabinet. Currently, I am using either a 5" speaker in a home made wooden cabinet, or a compact B*I*C center channel speaker.

(The truth is, however, I prefer a headset nearly all the time.)

A perusal of the speaker reviews on eHam.net reveals only a fraction of the options, and the passion for which operators have for the respective options. Each one has its strong supporters, and a few detractors. And it also proves there is no consensus among hams as to what constitutes the "best" speaker for the task.

I am confident the recommendations made in this thread are "sound" and based on good experience. I wonder if the recommended MFJ Clear Tone speaker sounds bright and crisp like the communications grade speakers made by Motorola, Midland, Cobra, and Uniden. I like this type of speaker because it cuts through the mix in the shack - especially fan noise - and I think they are selected to cut through automotive noise in cars and trucks - and produce a strong middle voice frequency spectrum, supposedly where the most speech intelligibility is. My wife and I listen to old radio shows, and we clean up, and punch up, the speech audio with a 12 band stereo equalizer - cutting the low and high frequencies, to emphasize the middle frequencies where the speech is. MFJ makes a product that does this for ham radio, and I think it is well founded. It works for me, anyway.

So listen to lots of speaker and pick your fave... they all seem to sound good... to somebody... it is what YOU like that counts.

Happy trails, y'all - that is just MY take.