Re: [TenTec] External Speaker for Paragon II (307G)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] External Speaker for Paragon II (307G)
From: Bill Vallejo <jupiter538bat@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:27:18 -0700
I mostly use a headset because that's what I prefer too. The XYL prefers I
use a headset because she doesn't care for the back round  noise.  My point
is why should I concern myself with something neither one of us likes? I'd
rather spend my money on a decent headset.

Bill AE7KB

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Richards <jruing@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Speaker quality is a very subjective matter.   Asking if a guy likes a
> speaker is like asking if he likes a certain bourbon better than another -
> the answer is inherently personal and subjective.  Ask any 10 hams what
> speaker they like, and you will get 12 different answers.
>
> What I like is a crisp, bright sound that cuts through ambient shack
> noise.  There is good audio theory to support this choice. Nevertheless,
> other guys like a fuller, richer, more bass tone, which sounds more
> natural.  Some hams drive themselves nuts trying to wring hi-fi quality out
> of 2800s Hz audio bandwidth  (no flame intended, just observing this is a
> fact) because they want to sound as close to broadcast quality as they can.
>   There are proponent for every sort of sound quality,  and, it seems, just
> as many others who disparage the same.
>
> So asking several hams what speaker sounds better, is a little like asking
> which beauty pageant model looks good to them - each one looks good to
> somebody.
>
> Notwithstanding this ersatz disclaimer, we have been asked to render an
> opinion, and I think the 307 sounds better than the 961.
>
> Notwithstanding, I believe there is a myriad of options which sound better
> than an inexpensive speaker in a metal cabinet.   I have tried the
> offerings of each major ham radio manufacturer - Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, TT,
> and have listened to the other brands in my friends' shacks.    In my view,
> they are very expensive for a hollow metal cabinet, with a $4 speaker at
> one end (although some also have a $5 filter network inside) - and they
> leave me flat.    I find it hard to spend upwards of $150-$200 for a metal
> cabinet and an inexpensive single paper cone, speaker in it.
>
> I compared the sound of the various TT speakers at TT HQ in Sevierville,
> and, was a tad surprised discover how different they each sound from each
> other.  I think the 307 does sound better than the 961 speaker, although I
> (personally) do not feel it it sounds ENOUGH better to warrant spending
> another $100 to get one.   (I am not disputing the price, per se - just
> saying I don't think it will sound $100 better than your existing 961
> speaker to warrant spending another $100 to replace what you have now.)
>
> Moreover, I was a tad surprised the 307 speaker and 940 speaker (the one
> with the built-in power supply) sound substantially different from each
> other.  I figured they would sound more alike, having the same the same
> speaker element, but I guess the addition of the power supply changes the
> audio characteristics of the cabinet.
>
> There are so many good speaker options - some guys like using small
> passive hi-fi speakers, while others like using passive or powered computer
> speakers,   and still others like using passive or powered studio monitor
> speakers.   You can tailor the resulting audio with a graphic equalizer,
> perhaps as a ersatz low cut filter to minimize low frequency hummm, and as
> [...]

Bill AE7KB

During the last century, a great many hams worked a lot of DX until they
got their hands on a SWR meter and found out they couldn't.