Re: [TenTec] Speakers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Speakers
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:50:08 -0800
Well, this is sure to stir up some discussion! Please, guys, try to keep it civil.

I had the same experience with Incentive Licensing, having to pass not one, but two exams to regain the use of frequencies for which I had already qualified when I passed the General CW and theory exams in 1966. I was bitter about that for a number of years. However, some exclusive frequencies (mainly in the CW sub-bands) for Extra-class licensees came out of that. Before, the Extra-class ticket was mostly a matter of prestige.

Although not initially in favor of the no-code Tech license, it did give the XYL a chance to share the hobby with me. She is one of those rare people who sincerely could not learn the code and retain it. What's sad about many of the licensees is that they don't see the potential of their privileges. There is so much that can be done on 6m and above that isn't permitted on the HF bands. But many don't see anything beyond the local repeater, and when they tire of that activity, what do they do? I have to wonder how many of the original no-code Techs didn't even bother to renew their licenses at the 10-year mark.

Of course, I'm biased toward CW, but I don't claim that it's the only mode to use.

Remember, it isn't what class of license you have, but rather what you do with it on the air. There are plenty of lids with that Extra-class ticket, and others who couldn't figure out how to build a simple dipole.

73 de Jim - AD6CW