Re: [TenTec] Herc II vs Astron

To: Tom Macon <tmacon@wi.rr.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Herc II vs Astron
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 09:35:56 -1000

Upon investigation, it seems that one or more of the Astrons shuts down so not
all four sections of the amp are powered.  I see that, if I turn off one
supply, that there is backfeed from the amp showing up on its output.  My guess
is that  the one of the supplies (a little slower to come up?) senses the
backfeed voltage from another one and this triggers some protection feature.
Perhaps so, but I see no way for the back feed to occur, except through some 100 K Ohm resistors on the DC Distribution Board. If that is enough to trigger a protection feature on one of the Astrons, then my guess it that one of the Astrons is mis-adjusted or is in some other way faulty.
I have only the sheet that came with the Astrons - no schematic or detailed
technical info.  Tomorrow I will call them to see if they can shed any light,
meanwhile perhaps someone here has experience or insight?
Some Astrons have a terminal which is used to tie the regulation circuitry to another identical Astron when paralleling them for higher current capacity. I'm not sure this would help though, since the Hercules II is really set up to run on four separate, not paralleled, supplies.

Neither the positive supply leads nor the negative supply leads are paralleled together in the 9420 or in the Hercules II, except when using the cable for battery operation. I suggest you keep the Astrons running independently, feeding the four sections of the Hercules II separately. You also need two other voltage sources, +REG and +14v/3A to run the control circuitry in the Hercules II. In the 9420 +14V/3A supply comes from the other power supplies, and are only paralleled via diodes (actually using half of some bridge rectifiers). The +REG supply has it's own transformer, rectifier, filter and regulator.

You really should check out the schematics of both the Hercules II and the 9420. Mine all came in one book, and even if you don't have a 9420, you may have a schematic for it.

If these are linear mode regulated Astrons, they are probably a pretty straightforward circuit using transformer, bridge rectifier, filter capacitor, LM723 regulator chip and 2N3055 pass transistors.

DE N6KB