[TenTec] 588 Speech Processor

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 588 Speech Processor
From: John Henry <jhenry@tentec.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:38:23 -0400
The 599 and 588 and 566/565 utilize basically the same speech processing
algorithms in the DSP.
It is best described as an RF Expander type speech processor. They operate
on the transmit signal and will increase the level of the signal as needed
to keep the transmit signal high, even for small input levels. The speech
processor adjustment sets the maximum available gain for this process.

AGC is RF based in both receivers.

Comparing it to the 712 RF Speech Processor. the 712 will do a better job
based on it's hardware based implementation.
It is measurable, and more effective. In practice though, is there a
difference? yes, but is it discernible? that is subjective.
It works great though for rigs that you want more umph out of and have no
other way to do it.

Regarding Stan's answer to James - K8JHR, my apologies, he got the answer
from me, and I was not at my best and gave him the wrong information. My
apologies.

Thanks, and 73,
John Henry, KI4JPL
TEN-TEC Engineering