Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC SSB NETS ON SUNDAY

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC SSB NETS ON SUNDAY
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 07:54:48 -0500
While I have high regard for net operations, on more than one instance I have spent several minutes monitoring a specific frequency. And I have always asked "is the frequency in use?" before calling CQ. Upon not receiving an answer, I'll call CQ and likely start a QSO. It seems it never fails, after a minute or so, I get a call saying "hey buddy, the frequency is in use by XXXX net". I"ve then asked for net control's call and the name of the net, as obviously I didn't here any net activity during my period of monitoring, nor did anyone respond to my question. Usually there is no further response. It seems that some believe they own a frequency and no one should every operate on that frequency any time of the day or night or any day of the week.

Personally, except in the event of a declared emergency, I view that nets should limit themselves to about 1 hour of frequency utilization. There is one particular 75 meter net which I hear each evening that occupies a frequency for up to 3 hours. I suppose if they have business to conduct then so be it, but in reality, I hear them calling and calling and calling for check-ins and this goes on and on and on with little to no activity other than net control flapping their lips.

I think we all need to review our net operations, the procedures, the amount of time we utilize a specific frequency along with the productivity of the net activity. As a general rule with today's equipment, correctly adjusted and operated, a 3 kHz separation is usually more than adequate for SSB operation.

In most cases, call up and net activity should so state the net frequency to be "on or about...xxxx......kHz". In many cases, I've served as a net control and I started calling a net some 2 kHz below or above the general net frequency. I've had many operators put their radio exactly on net frequency even though the net control is operating slightly different. And then I'm told "hey Bob, you're off frequency". Well, I hate to inform, but it is and always has been that it is net control that established the net frequency. This allows net control to have a clear frequency and not call up the net on a frequency that interferes with a QSO or other net activity. I prefer to keep it that way.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Flessner" <k9arm1@gmail.com>