Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:44:56 -0700
On 3/28/2013 11:53 AM, Rod Greene wrote:
I am interested in your work too. I just purchased a Yamaha CM-500 headset and
it has lots of gain compared to my old Pro Headset.

Do NOT worry about excessive gain as long as you can turn down the mic gain on the rig enough to get the same level of modulation and processing as with your other mic(s). Then, get critical reports on your signal quality from someone whose ears you trust.

I did exactly that when I made an adapter for my CM500 to an FT1000MP to use on a DX trip. I did have to turn the audio gain almost all the way down, but my very critical neighbor, K6XX, who is an engineer at Elecraft and a serious contester, said the audio was just fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

73, Jim K9YC