Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:42:18 -0400
I recommend including a small L attenuator pad to reduce the very HOT electret condenser mic element signal so the resulting signal strength is about the same as that of a dynamic microphone.

Otherwise, your mic input is too hot and the AGC circuit has little room to work in. If the electret mic capsule is as hot as many are, you will find you have to turn the MIC GAIN down to about 2-3% to avoid having the AGC light on all the time, instead of popping on upon voice peaks. In effect, the mic comes on at about 2-3% and the AGC comes on full blast about 3-4% and there is little room for adjustment for the AGC circuit to sort of "flex" in - if you try to reduce MIC GAIN, you quickly run out of room and it is off below 1%. (on my Omni VII)

If you include the attenuator, you can set the MIC GAIN at something much higher, more like 35-40% and that gives you more room to adjust it up or down without either being on or off, with little room for adjustment in between on and peak input, so that you can set it where the AGC only comes on when there are voice peaks.

You can buy a 10 dB attenuator adapter from Andrea Electronics, famous for making active noise canceling mic circuits for the Air Force, or you can build your own with a pair of resistors in an L-pad arrangement. I went further and included a voltage divider to reduce the 10v bias voltage to closer to 5v, because my experience and research with these little electret mic capsules tells me they sound a little fuller that way. I think Jim Brown said he likes to put a little capacitor on them to shape the audio more for ham radio, which I believe thins it up a bit, giving it a tad more punch (HEIL used to sell the HC4 cartridge for a similar, probably more pronounced, effect) - and I suspect he gets good results that way. I prefer to tailor the audio with the on board input EQ setting or just run stock, as these little computer microphones tend to run thin anyway. It may depend on what your voice is like as to whether or not you want to add that or not. You certainly want a capacitor Bob mentions to keep the DC bias voltage from the AC MIC Input line. Radios usually have one on the input circuit, but I put on on for good measure.

That is MY take, anyway.