Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?
From: John Farler <k4avx1@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 22:29:03 -0400
I used several such headsets on the Omni V and VI+, and the 4 pin
mic connector makes it a snap.  The voltage is there on one of the pins
for the element.
I'd agree it would be easier to start all over with
a blank 8 pin connector for the newer rigs, and use your two 1/8"
stereo jacks and put any other components as suggested in a
separate box as in the nice article by K8JHR. Nice feature is that
you can use the head sets from $5 and up on any radio with a
cheap adaptor.
I'm getting ready to try such an adaptor for 8 pin and RJ44 mic
connectors on 2 meter rigs with all the junk I don't use on the mic.
Will make a small VOX circuit to go into the  box, and NCS's on 2 M.
nets can work hands free.  The other comments on this digest
should help me.
Wish me luck!

73,
John, K4AVX
k4avx1@windstream.net

BTW ol' RS had a nice little VOX with one ear mic and earphone I
picked up at one of their closeouts for $5 when they quit the ham
business.  Works with my new HT with an andio connector adaptor.