Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: tentec@contesting.com, mjwetzel@comcast.net, craig@thompsonet.com, jerry@daca.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:41:23 -0700
On 4/25/2013 2:57 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
That's why I use N type connectors.

I don't use N on coax below 6M, but I do use N or BNC at 6M and above.

A year or so ago, I discovered an EXCELLENT N-connector for coax of RG-8 and RG-213 size in a box of stuff that I bought from the estate of a slient key. It's made by Andros Manufacturing -- that's a machine shop business run by a ham in upstate NY. He sells through dealers, but it's hard to find them in stock. I ended up buying them through WB0W, and I cleaned out their stock. WB0W also tried to sell me Chinese copies of the Andros connector too, which I declined.

The connector is a unique 2-piece design that I've seen before only with crimp BNCs and some hard line connectors. Both center and shield solder to the same piece, then that screws into the large outer ring that mates with the other connector. Easy to terminate, and quite robust. Worth chasing down if you use N connectors on this size coax.

73, Jim K9YC