Re: [TenTec] Help 4 Oll

To: TenTec reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help 4 Oll
From: art N4UC <n4uc@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 22:25:34 -0500
Unless you want to have the logging software actually key the Orion for CW,
then nothing more is required than the serial cable already in place between
the computer and Orion which is used to upload firmware updates from the
internet. The FJP must be configured for the proper serial port etc... but no
more hardware is required. However, since it takes a second port (com, LPT,
USB) to key the Orion for CW, that's when you need may a USB/serial converter
cable as already described.

Beware about FJP being used to send CW however: The speed is VERY hard to
adjust. I can run the speed up and it will increase up to about 24wpm where it
doesn't speed up until the setting gets to about 44 at which point it jumps to
what I assume is 44wpm. Between 24 and 44 it is not adjustable on my computer.
I'm sure it has to do with the timing of the computer vs other processes that
are going on at the same time,  but none of my other programs are affected in
this way. Other than that I use FJP alot and like it quite a bit. Just not for
contest logging where I need to change speed on a regular basis.

Art N4UC