Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:37:56 -0500
I tend to agree that running an external speech processor AND the internal processor at the same time would not seem be the better configuration.

My experience and measurements indicate the internal processor, being DSP based, is equal to the external processor effectiveness in terms of raising the average PEP value. I suppose the advantage of the external processor, i.e. 715, is the fact it has a way to "change the sound" of the audio thus making it more piercing or penetrating along with narrowing the transmitted audio bandwidth as well as raising the average or effective PEP level while the internal DSP system will largely only raise the average or effective PEP value.

My measurements using the internal speech processor indicate that SP values in the 40% to 60% range are indeed effective in raising the average or effective PEP value some 6 dB to 8 dB without causing any concern of audio issues. By using a narrowed SSB TX BW and a higher value for TX Roll OFF one can accomplish the same effective results as typical with the 715. One must also understand that the correct adjustment of the hardware mike gain and the DSP MIC gain must be applied as well.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards" <jrichards@k8jhr.com>